Saturday, February 26, 2011

Un-Predictable

It's days like today when I can really affirm my faith in the human race! If you recall the blog post that took the lifespan of a biblical character to read, my last audition wasn't too friendly, to say the least. Today's experience was 180 degrees in the opposite direction! What joy it is to talk to people with actual conversational skills, smiles, and without the secret desire to see you fall headfirst into a pile of worm guts.

I had an excellent time today, although my performance certainly wasn't 100%. Does anybody have any advice on making sure you are warmed up before singing at an audition? I warm up, drive for awhile, and then pop out of the car, open my mouth, and hope some squawking, reminiscent of an annoying bird at 5 AM doesn't come out! I try moving my voice around in the car, but it certainly isn't the same being strapped in, and actually having to pay attention to the road in front of you rather than where your voice placement is.

Today's audition wasn't about me getting anywhere with anything. I hold no expectations in this new adventure of mine. Instead, it was about being something completely opposite myself. People who know me always expect me to be the same, predictable girl, never really reaching outside and exploring. Well, I think I proved them wrong today. Hmmmm...singing a song as a passionate lesbian lover (Take Me or Leave Me) and then performing a monologue of a hopeful Chicago actress who will sleep with anyone to get ahead. Who knew Lauren would even come close to doing that??

I even got the comment that my piece was a bold or brave choice or something like that. Plus, props to me, the monologue I chose was something the director hadn't heard before! And I didn't stutter, forget, or otherwise tongue twist my way into a failed performance. Go me!

Plus, I was totally honest upfront on my inability to, in any way, dance. I want to learn how to in the worst way though! No one wants to see a re-enactment of the previous dancing extravaganza. We'll see what happens next!!

Much Love,
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. ummmmmmm..........
    you wouldn't
    Roxie Hart would
    ;)

    ReplyDelete