Sunday, February 13, 2011

Caution: Random mutterings ahead

Have you ever wondered what your bones look like under your skin? Seriously. I'm staring at my hands, deciding what to type on this, my inaugural blog post, and that random though passes through my brain. Who knows why.

A few weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to do more. I wanted to get "out" of the box that I had so carefully placed myself in years ago. I'm not one to "wander". If I want something, I create a plan and execute it. I've defined myself as a "music education major", which I am. I love teaching and I love music. It makes perfect sense and I swear there could not be a better profession for me.

["House" is over. Switching to "The West Wing". Who says my Saturday night isn't glamorous?]

However--- I want something else. Who knows exactly what it is? All semester I've been trying to find "something else" to do. I've always thought acting, musical theater, and singing would be wonderful to do, but always came up with excuses. There was always someone better, someone with more free time, or other things that required my attention. Why not me?? I want to run a marathon. Why not me?? I want to learn how to dance. Why not me??

This blog is my new "adventure companion" per say. I admit, I have had a muse of sorts. I've been perusing various blogs (most related to Wicked...more on that later) and came across Felicia Ricci's blog, "Unnaturally Green". [Thanks so much Felicia!] Her unique prose inspired me to chronicle my journey to whatever, although it will most likely be less glamorous and filled with more meaningless tidbits. Who knows where I'll end up?

I've been on a total of 3 auditions so far, 2 of which were for the same show but different productions. I've been to a dance audition, leading to the desire to actually learn how to dance before going on another one. I really want to get into some production and have a good time. A few things seem to counteract that: my logical perception of the constraints of my schedule, my self-doubt in regards to actual talent, and the perception that others may have. Again I say, why not me?? Aren't these all things that can be overcome?

The other day, I went running in the morning. I intended on doing a 3 mile run. That in itself was daunting. I hadn't gone that far in a few weeks. I knew I'd be sore and I knew I'd have to crawl down the street home, but nevertheless I went. So I'm going along, rocking along to the beats on my "Running" playlist. Suddenly, it dawns on me that I don't quite know where I am. I'm on this random road, the name of which I'm not familiar, just running along. Most people would grab the cell-phone tucked away in the pocket (invented for this sort of occurrence) and call a friend to look on a map and chart a route home. Not me (of course.) I kept going, knowing that I'd eventually find my way back. Of course, I did. I just followed the same road until it dumped me out somewhere familiar. Through it all, I kept running, intent on not giving up. Once I got home, I mapped the route I took. Drrrrrrrrummmmm roll--- 5 miles total, running 4 straight miles of that. 1/2 mile warm-up and 1/2 mile cool down. Apparently, I can do more than I thought. (And in about 1 hour 15 minutes.......tee hee)

Why can't I do everything that I want to?

Much love,
Lauren

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, I absolutely LOVE this! I will definitely be following! Can't wait to read more!

    Love,
    hannah gee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always remember that you can do anything you set your mind to do!
    <3
    mommy

    ReplyDelete